I wasn't suggesting that the topology didn't support this setup, I was
suggesting that the setup was unwise.  With respect to TE, yes, you are
correct that inter-area TE isn't available for ISIS or
OSPF.  However,   this has nothing to do with your area-id's, but rather
the flooding scope of the type 10 LSA (in the case of OSPF).  Furthermore,
drafts are in progress to address this limitation, but again, these are
ospf area-id agnostic.

various drafts of note wrt to inter-area TE
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kompella-mpls-multiarea-te-03.txt
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vasseur-mpls-ospf-pcsd-discovery-00.txt
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vasseur-mpls-isis-pcsd-discovery-01.txt