Too bad nobody else is participating in this interesting thread. I changed
the title. Mabye that will help! ;-)

Your question boils down to: "Does it matter that RTS is down on a serial
interface acting as DCE on a router acting as a Frame Relay switch? The
interface is connected to the DCE side of a cross-over cable."

Your testing reveals that it doesn't matter. The interface is up/up and
passing traffic. So you're wondering if RTS really matters.
There's a good chance it doesn't matter in this situation. Consider what it
stands for: Request to Send. On a full-duplex point-to-point serial
interface, the DTE shouldn't have to send RTS before the DCE side asserts
Clear to Send (CTS) and accepts incoming data. That stuff was used on old
RS-232 multidrop lines, as far as I know. On a multidrop line, it's
important that only one station send at a time. So that station has to
assert RTS. The DCE side then asserts CTS. When the DTE sees Clear To Send
(CTS) it knows it can send.

See here for more info on RS-232 and V.35 specifications:

http://www.sangoma.com/signal.htm

Just out of curiousity, does it work even if that router with the problem is
the DTE side? Turn the cross-over cable the other way so that DTE is on the
Frame Relay switch side. (That will still work by the way. The side that is
doing FR DCE doesn't have to be the 'physical-layer' DCE.) On the new DCE
router, specify the clocking. Does the interface still come up/up? If not,
then you would have a problem in the "real world." In the lab, though,
there's no problem. You can just make sure that you connect the DCE side to
the interface that seems to have a problem with this signal.

Priscilla