All,
    I have a couple of questions in reference to a recent post on the
nanog list
about possbily using "De-aggregating Routes". NOw it's understood that
there are
on some inherent flaws(thrashing and blackholing) associated with
overpopulating
the internet route tables through de-aggregation, When we consider the
reasoning
behind the creation and implemntation of CIDR.  I recently revisted Avi
Freedman's realaudio stream on "Controlled De-Aggregation"
using MEDs and larger aggregates(nanog9905). This got me to thinking!
Based on what
we already know of CIDR and the knwon disadvantages of De-aggregation,
there are
some possible advantages in Avi's suggestion of controlled
de-aggregation.   Pointing back to W B. Norton's "Internet Service
Providers and Peering" and "The
Art of Peering" he makes some suggestions that cold-potato routing could
be used
to circumvent sub-optimal routing.  There are a number of ways that
cold-poato
routing could be achieved, but as it relates to this discussion, wouldn't
controlled de-aggregated routes and the use of MEDs provide another
mechnisim to achieving this objective?  Is this a case of the "ends
dosen't justify the mean"?.
Nigel