""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> I agree with Chuck that you don't want to enable portfast on a port that
> connects a switch. You could disable STP all together, as Chuck mentions,
> but that is risky unless you have complete control of network equipment
> installs, good documentation of your logical and physical topology, and a
> good change control process.
>
> But you could look into Cisco's other features, such as Uplink Fast and
> Backbone Fast. These speed up STP convergence time. Their proper use is
> dependent on your topology, which I admit I didn't look at carefully. Hey,
> my state is on fire, and I'm a little distracted! ;-)

CL: I may be misunderstanding, but I believe that Uplink Fast and Backbone
Fast are appropriate for exsiting topologies where failures may occur. If a
new switch is introduced into the mix, I'm not sure that these features
speed up or bypass STP.

CL: hhmmm..... looking through the documentation, I see a feature called
Cross-stack Uplink fast which might be worth looking at.  Mentions the
gigastacks specifically. Use the "spanning-tree stack-port" command on the
gigabit interfaces. There is mention of the introduction of a new switch in
the documentation of this feature.

CL: hope all is well n your neighborhood. These fires have been pretty scary
to a lot of people.