John Brandis wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What type of frame tagging Protocol is best for Gigabit
> Ethernet Fiber
> Interfaces. I understand that ISL is fine for standard fast
> ethernet ,
> however .10 is perhaps better for this situation.....

Do you mean 802.10?? That was used for VLAN tagging on FDDI. Don't think
just because you have fiber-optic cabling you have to use 802.10, which was
for FDDI (which is an entirely different data-link layer).

I can't see why the solution would be any different for Gigabit Ethernet
versus Fast Ethernet. Use either ISL or 802.1Q, probably 802.1Q since it's
standards based, whereas ISL is Cisco-proprietary. Also, I don't think Cisco
supports ISL on some Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

> Thanks for advice on VOIP. Got it all sorted out, thanks to the
> nice people
> at NEC and your comments.

That's good. And your haircut is working out well too I hope? ;-)

Priscilla