bergenpeak wrote:

> Hi Priscilla,
>
> Thanks much for the response and the RFC reference.  Would one
> still
> consider a vendor's implementation to be "RED" (compliant with
> RFC 2309)
> if packets at the head of the queue are dropped instead of at
> the tail?

Well, I don't see any use of the capitalized MUST in the RFC, so it's pretty
easy to be "compliant" with the RFC.

Dropping at the head of the queue is not what the RFC describes when it's
discussing RED, however. The only place it mentions that technique is in the
discusssion of methods that handle lock-out but don't handle the full-queues
situation. Search for "drop front on full." You'll see that it's mentioned
in the RFC, but not in reference to RED. In the discussion of RED, they talk
about dropping arriving frames.

On the other hand, dropping probabilistically from the front along with
managing the average size of the queue over time may accomplish the same
thing as the RED techniques that they describe. But Q management can be
tricky and have unexpected results if not handled well. I wouldn't take my
word for it. The authors of this RFC probably have PhDs in mathematics,
computer science, etc. Could you ask them? Their e-mails may be available to
someone trying to implement this. (If it's idle curiosity I wouldn't bother
them, but you may be a vendor software developer, for all I know.)

Priscilla