Thanks for the through reply and the verifying that I have a decent grip
on policy routing. I'm less concerned that i'm not following the
author's train of thought than I am the the concept in general.

I agree that I muddied the waters by bringing bgp into the picture. I
understand the usage of route-maps in bgp relates to controling bgp
routing information between neighbors not in the actual routing of data
packets as it does with policy routing. I appreciate the example,
though, it helped me further clarify things.

Thanks again,
John

Chuck's Long Road wrote:
> [...]

|>system to take a different path from the one that would have been chosen
|>by that autonomous system." (pp. 551)
|

| CL: sure. makes sense. I'm not sure why the authors would take this
tack, as
| policy routing applies only to inbound traffic. at best, it can set next
| hop, as you note.  But nothing that the policy sets is untouchable by
other
| routers, same autonomous ystem or not.
|

|>~From the reading, I understand that policy routing is configured on an
|>inbound interface and can filter on either source or both source and
|>destination addresses. PR, via a route map, can set properties such as
|>precedence, QoS and next-hop. All of these items only really have
|>relevance on the router in which policy routing is being done. In other
|>words, once the router policy routes the packet and specifies, for
|>instance, the next-hop interface. Now, if that next-hop router chooses
|>to drop, fragment or otherwise mangle the packet so be it, the first
|>router has no control over it anymore, its done its job.
|

| CL: yep
|

|>So then, how does this quote apply? Perhaps, I'm completely missing the
|>point (wouldn't be the first time). A router can only do what its
|>configured to do. If I tell a packet to take path a to get to network b
|>but network b would perfer its incoming traffic to come in via path c,
|>the most network a can do to prevent this is to drop incoming traffic
|>via path a. Correct?
|

| CL: yep
|

|>Even if we were running a EGP such as BGP4 and the
|>distant router had a MED set to perfer path c, I could still push
|>packets via path a given that I knew it existed.
|

| CL: you can send a packet anyplace. that doesn't mean the destination
router
| has to accept it.
|
| CL: but mixing policy routing and BGP in your mind is probably not a good
| idea. the BGP settings that are done via route-maps associated with
neighbor
| statements apply to BGP routing information. Policy routing applies to
data
| packets, not to routing protocol information. Does that make sense?
|
| CL: examples:
|
| router bgp 9902
| neighbor 1.1.1.1 remote-as 9990
| neighbor 1.1.1.1 route-map take_my_sttings out
| neighbor 1.1.1.1 route-map screw_your_settings in
|
| as opposed to
|
| interface s 0
| ip policy route-map zzyzx
|

|>Make sense? I'm a bit confused as to what the authors are getting to in
|>this passage. Could someone help?
|

| CL: HTH
|

|>Thanks,
|>John
|>

|>- --
|>http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x88EE7695
|>Key fingerprint = DBD7 6AE2 E7BE 1572 B245  BF54 4913 C85A 88EE 7695

- --