DJ,
Bookmark this link.
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ipmulticast/index.html

Typically you have IGMP running, PIM DR's elected, and PIM
forwarding routers.  Elections are based on this:
- Lowest IP = IGMP2 querier
- Highest IP = PIM DR
- PIM forwarding router =
   if distance is not equal, lowest distance wins.
   if distance is equal, highest IP wins.

IGMPv1 routers do not have group-specific queries, nor a querier
election process like IGMPv2.  These types of routers require the routing
protocol to determine the DR for the network.  In most cases the protocol
will be PIM.  So the PIM DR is elected and manages IGMP queries.

There also exists the forwarder.  In a multi-access network, there might
be more than one path from a source.  There must be a way to determine
which router is going to be responsible for forwarding the traffic from
the source so you aren't flooding the group with unnecessary traffic.
This is where the forwarder comes in.  Via the little test on distance
or IP addresses I mentioned earlier, PIM can determine which router
in a multi-access segment should be the designated forwarder.

I hope this explanation helps.  I can understand your confusion,
its a common question.  Ultimately, the best advice I've ever received
is: "If in doubt, read the RFC."

-Mark