At 11:01 AM +0000 8/26/02, Juan Blanco wrote:
>John,
>
>Security policy are for internal use and each security policy varies from
>company to company. If you do
>a search on the net for "security policy) you will find plenty of
>information that will help you to accomplish
>your goal. There is a lot of information on the Cisco web site, A good
>example is available in the book Managing Cisco Network Security.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Juan Blanco

I generally agree. One thing to remember is the security POLICY
should be short (a page or two), approved and enforced by top
management, cleared by legal, and be the basis for the security
architecture and implementation.

For example, at the moment, I'm doing the policy and plan for a
service provider that handles personal medical data. There are quite
a number of specific legal requirements that apply to them.

Military systems have levels of security and work in different
environments (e.g., all users have or do not have the same
clearance), so there's no cookie-cutter approach there.

In the case I'm working with, I think some of the Drug Enforcement
Administration directives for protecting systems that can
electronically prescribe narcotics are vast overkill, but, so I know
I meet them, I'm using some techniques that variously are used for
nuclear weapons control and the identity of spies.

A large retail chain would have a different policy, as would a
financial institution.

Frankly, I've never needed to use one of the books devoted to
security policy. I do like _Internet Cryptography_ by Smith, and
Annlee Hines' (an occasional list contributor) new book, _Planning
for Survivable Networks_.  Far less readable, but with a great deal
of information, are selected Rainbow Series books from the NSA
(especially the "understanding" guides). See
http://www.fas.org/irp/nsa/rainbow.htm