Hi all,

I am new to VPNs and have a situation for your suggestion(s).

4 host PCs are to be connected into a Cisco 827H router through the 4-port
Ethernet interface. There is a remote site where there is 1 host (that has a
DSL card in the host) which requires connectivity through a VPN to the 827.
The access technology is ADSL and at this stage I don't know what OS the PCs
are running, althogh I do know its Windows.

At this point, its my intention to use 3DES encryption, or IPSec encryption.

The problems I'm facing (these may be imagined!!) are that I'm not sure how
to configure the Cisco router. All of Cisco's documentation around the DSL
area seems to advocate using PPPoE in the WAN for VPNs. I've had a read of
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn_pppoe.html but I'm not sure if the
remote host can talk directly over the VPN to the 827. Does this depend on
the OS's encryption support (IPSec etc) and how you configure the remotes
host's ADSL card?

I may be asking the wrong questions, or you may be able to point me in the
right direction for reading material. Any help will be appreciated.

cheers,
Matthew.