It's my turn to disagree :). If we are going to consider quality of
service from ISP point of view then don't you think that rate-limit is
giving you the advantage of passing exceding traffic for your client
after marking it such that if you do have free bandwidth as the ISP you
can let this traffic through, and drop it if not? Using rate-limit in
such a way means that you can think of charging your client more for
giving him such an option.

 This is not acheivable using traffic-shapping as it just sets a
threshold and drops packets exceeding that threshold.

What you are doing means to me that you find traffic-shapping is better
than rate-limitting so you are applying it on the outgoing traffic to the
client. However, as it is unidirectional and you can't rely on asking the
client to do it from his side also for the other direction so the only
alternative is to rate-limit on the incoming traffic.

Would you kindly explain to us why you find your way would provide a
better quality from the ISP ?

Regards,

Yasser

>From: Jay Greenberg > >I would have to disagree. From an ISP standpoint,
when we supply a >capped service to a customer, we use a combination of
rate-limiting and >traffic shaping. I Rate-limit the input, and traffic
shape the output. >I suppose it is more resource-intensive on our end,
however don't you >agree that it is better quality of service from the
ISP? > >On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 04:29, YASSER ALY wrote: > > Rate-limiting
is what we call policing and it is done from the ISP side. > > It is
bi-directional so you can rate limit input & output. You can define > >
what is the policy to be followed when traffic is within range and what >
> to be done once exceeded like pass, mark, drop. > > > >
Traffic-shapping is done from the client side and it is unidirectional (
> > Controlling the outgoing traffic from an interface. Shapping helps
when 2 > > sites are communicating with each other, one of them is 1M
while the > > other is 256K, traffic shapping would be defined from the
1M side inorder > > not to flood the 256K link and lots or retransmission
occurs. > > > > >From: "Mohamed Saro" > >what is the difference and the
direction of > > rate-limit and traffic shapping > >FAQ, list archives,
and subscription > > info: http://www.groupstudy.com/list/cisco.html
>Report misconduct and > > Nondisclosure violations to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > >
Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED] > >