Hello Group,

It would appreciated if anyone could shed some light on the following:-

distribute-list X in - filters routes learned via all incoming interfaces
from going into the routing table
distribute-list X out - filters any external redistributed routes from other
protocols.

But for OSPF, is it true that...

1) distribute-list X in - will still filters routes from all incoming
interfaces from entering into the routing table. I have read on Parkhurst
(OSPF Command & Reference) saying that this command can filters "O" & "O IA"
route, but not "O E2" routes, yet I have also read on other books saying
that only "O IA" routes can be filtered by this, so which is correct?
Also, since OSPF uses LSAs, where OSPF neighbors determines routes from the
info in the Link State database, this command won't stop the routes from
going into OSPF Topology database.

2)  distribute-list X in  - same as above, except the filtering
only applied for routes learned via a specific interface.

3) distribute-list X out - I have read from different books (as well as CCO
regarding this). Dr Parkhurst (OSPF Command & Reference) says that this
command is useless / has no effect on OSPF... yet I have read on other posts
saying this will still work, where ALL different external protocols will be
filtered with the list (e.g. if EIGRP & RIP are both redistributed into
OSPF, then they would both be filtered).

4) distribute-list X out  - filters only a specific external
redistributed protocol (O E2) from entering into the ASBR's own OSPF
database, hence these external routes will be prevented to be advertised to
the rest of OSPF domain.

Thanks so much for your help in advance,

Regards,
Hunt