Maybe you are thinking that a static route is always prefered to a dynamic
one because it has lower AD, that isn't true, routers check first the
longest match, and then AD. Anyway, you always could define a static route
with an AD higher than any routing protocol..
Regarding backups check this link:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/123/backup-main.html