r34rv13wm1rr0r wrote:

> No.  The collision domain on a hub is shared throughout causing
> each port to
> listen before transmitting.

No is correct. A hub can't be configured for full-duplex. If it can be, it's
been misnamed. It's really a switch. But the explanation is not correct. A
hub port doesn't listen before sending. It doesn't do MAC data-link-layer
tasks. It simply forward bits that come in one port out all other ports. On
a proper-sized network, the sending end hosts will still be monitoring their
transmission, notice any collisions, and retransmit.

In my new book, Troubleshooting Campus Networks, I have the following
relevant paragraphs:

"Collisions on Networks with Hubs and Switches

A hub is a repeater that simplifies cabling designs, permitting a star
configuration with a hub at the center, like the hub in an old hub-and-spoke
wheel. Repeaters and hubs have a few other important jobs and
characteristics also. Signals going through a repeater are retimed using the
repeater’s timing circuitry to prevent the accumulation of signal
jitter. A repeater also regenerates the signal to the proper amplitude and
symmetry. Another job of a repeater is to rebuild a received preamble to
avoid preambles getting shorter as they go through repeaters’ timing
circuits. Repeaters also extend any fragments that have resulted from frames
that collided and were cut short. The repeater extends the signal so that
the total number of bits output equals 96 bits. Fragment extension ensures
that short collision fragments survive a trip through a maximum-size network
in the correct time frame. Stations receiving the extended fragment discard
it and also defer from sending until the collision event is over.
One of the most important tasks of a repeater is to enforce collisions on
each connected segment. Repeaters enforce collisions by transmitting a
collision-enforcement jam signal. Upon detecting a collision on one segment,
a repeater transmits a collision enforcement jam signal on that segment and
all other connected segments. This ensures that any station trying to send
at that moment hears the collision. In this way, a repeater makes sure all
stations are in the same collision domain and can react to collisions
correctly. When a repeater detects a collision, it sends a 96-bit jam
composed of alternating ones and zeros.
Switches are replacing hubs in large campus networks. It is a common
misconception that switches don’t need to know about CSMA/CD and that
collisions don’t occur on switched networks. In fact, each switch port
implements the CSMA/CD standard. When sending a frame, a half-duplex switch
port senses carrier, defers if necessary, detects collisions, backs off, and
retransmits. Whether a collision might occur or not depends on what is
connected to the switched port. If a shared medium is connected to the
switch, collisions may occur.
Ethernet troubleshooters often wonder about cut-through switches and
collisions. A cut-through switch outputs bits as soon as the destination
address has been received and the destination port determined. What if there
is a collision on that port? Should the switch send a collision enforcement
jam on the port that received the frame so the original sender knows to try
again? Or has the switch cached the frame so that it can do the
retransmitting? Some troubleshooters assume that cut-through processing
means that the frame was not cached. Vendor implementations may vary, but
Cisco cut-through switches cache all frames, even when in cut-through mode.
In this way, each port can handle CSMA/CD duties for that port and no other
port. A switch retransmits if a collision occurs and does not notify the
original sender in any way. Each port truly delimits a collision domain."

Priscilla Oppenheimer