I didn't mean to scare anyone with the bizarre addressing. Maybe I went a
little overboard while trying to create an extreme situation.

I have not done HSRP in some time and I got confused by likening HSRP peers
to IPSec or ISAKMP peers (where peer IP addresses can be specified). I had
forgotten about the virtual MAC and ARP. =)

---------
Here's what I have:
- 2 sites in the same metro area- A and Z
- Both sites have similar sized links to the same provider.

Here's the problem I am trying to solve:
1. Need fail-over, if not load-sharing (most inbound traffic is headed to A
and it has enough capacity on it's own, so load-sharing isn't critical).
2. Both sites to be connected by high speed metro fiber. I am trying to
decide whether to route or bridge this link. I was told that I could use
HSRP on the provider routers for fail-over if I bridged and kept the HSRP
addresses in the same subnet.
----------

I know this sounds like a job for BGP, but I wanted to explore all options.

Thanks,

Sam

At 09:56 PM 9/10/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>enabled wrote:
> >
> > Is there a rule stating that addresses in a HSRP group need to
> > be in the
> > same subnet?
> >
> > For example can I have 2 devices with the following addresses:
> > RouterA: 10.10.10.1
> > RouterB: 172.16.10.1
> > HSRP address: 192.168.10.1
>
>What problem are you trying to solve? Haven't heard that one in a while!?
;-)