Yes, I just took (today in fact) the R/S written and it was a nightmare.  I
know that I can't speak for all recent test takers as I am sure all of our
exams are somewhat different, however, I can tell you one key thing based
off of the exam that I took:

KNOW MULTICASTING AND MPLS!!

Be prepared to FULLY understand concepts, fundamentals, designs, best
practices, & troubleshooting regarding multicasting topics such as IGMP (v1
& v2 and their differences), CGMP, DVMRP, & PIM (PIM-DM & PIM-SM) as well as
MPLS architectures and implementation.  I would say that close to 1/3 of my
exam was on multicasting and MPLS alone.  I thought that I had the wrong
test as most "exam study guides" seem to show very little emphasis on these
areas.  I studied my ass off (6 months prep) for this as my current CCNP
certification runs out next year and I want to get the "big upgrade".
Anyway, I read (cover to cover) these books in preparation for taking the
CCIE R/S written:

McGraw Hill All-In-One CCIE Lab Study Guide
Cisco Press Internet Routing Architectures
Cisco Press CCIE Professional Development: Routing TCP/IP Volume I
Cisco Press CCIE Professional Development: Routing TCP/IP Volume II
Cisco Press CCIE Professional Development: Cisco LAN Switching
Cisco Press CCIE Practical Studies Volume I
Cisco Press Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
Addison-Wesley Interconnections Second Ed (Perlman)
Various RFCs and a sh*&load of configuration documents from Cisco's website

With the exception of Jeff Doyle in Routing TCP/IP Volume II, none of the
"CCIE development or study guides" provide much information on these areas.
This is where I got destroyed on the test.  I put most of my focus on areas
such as routing protocols (EGPs & IGPs), wireless networks, LANs/WANs
(switching & routing), QOS, access-lists, traffic management... (you get the
idea).  Don't be fooled by the amount of focus on multicasting or MPLS that
you see in some of these books on the market (such as the list above).
Before taking this test, I should have read (until I was blue in the face)
Cisco Press MPLS & VPN Architectures and Interdomain Multicast Solutions
Guide.  You can really see Cisco emphasizing the AVVID architecture in this
certification.  I was praying for questions on issues such as wireless LANs,
ISDN, BGP or ATM because it was what I had studied and practiced
(extensively) on in my home lab (not to mention paid for); but they never
came (I didn't get one single question on OSPF or EIGRP on the whole damn
exam).  I drove me nuts and to add insult to injury, they used every acronym
in the book regarding these multicasting technologies.

Anyway my suggestion is, and this just based on my experience with the test
today and may not reflect all other test takers, study and be well prepared
to address complex issues regarding MPLS, multicasting, and multiservice. I
am scheduling the test again in a month or so as this will give me some time
to improve on these areas.  Good luck!

Regards,
Jim

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...