s vermill wrote:

> > This doesn't sound believable to me. It sounds like the
> > discussion mangled some slightly related topics and applied
> > them to this situation. ;-) Or that someone misinterpreted the
> > output from "debug ip icmp." Or perhaps someone jumped to this
> > conclusion due to the fact that you have to map your serial
> > interface IP address to a DLCI to ping it in a Frame Relay
> > environment.
>
> Priscilla,
>
> Thanks.  Here is one link I crossed on CCO recently:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/116/fr_faq.html#1

Don't believe everything you read. ;-) This statement from the Cisco
document is not believable:

"Pings to your own interface address are successful on point-to-point
subinterfaces or high-level data link control (HDLC) links because the
router on the other side of the link returns the ICMP echo and echo reply
packets. The same principle applies with multipoint (sub)interfaces. To
successfully ping your own interface address, another router must send back
the ICMP echoes and the echo replies."

I think they are trying to address the issue of not being able to ping
yourself on Frame Relay. That is fixable by including a map statement. This
shouldn't imply that the packets actually cross the serial link though, even
though that's what they are saying. And to claim that the echos (not just
the echo replies) get sent back is really not believable.

On the other hand, sometimes things that aren't believable turn out to be
true in the Cisco world. But this one really smacks of a being written by
someone who is slightly clueless.

Hey, ask Chuck about that weird EIGRP paper that comes up every so often.
It's even more unbelievable than this one. ;-)

Priscilla