I don't really have much to say about fetchmail specifically, but two
comments which are probably useful.

Sounds like you really want to speed up fetchmail, not just monitor it.  I
don't have any great suggestions about monitoring it other than parsing logs
like any other service you can't actively monitor.

But why not parellelize the fetching with multiple instances of fetchmail
just like you'd do to scale the canned mrtg.  That is as long as the
target(Intuity Audix?) you are retreiving mail from can handle the extra
connections.

Good Luck,
Darrell
up too late again.....