From: Loken, Bjorn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 17 September 2002 16:09
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Upgrading Cisco PIX Firewall [7:53403]

> > Hi everybody,
> > I4m trying to upgrade the Firewall PIX 535 (version 6.1.1
> to 6.1.2) in
> > Monitor mode. I4ve configured everything according to Cisco
> procedure, and
>
> > I4m able to ping the tftp server. But when I issue the tftp server
> command,
> > the image is not loaded. The tftp server log (Solarwinds)
> states that it
> was
> > not able to send the image to the firewall. Does anyone
> have faced this
> kind
> > of problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > Regards
> > Marcos

I encountered similar problems late one evening uploading an image to a
router, I tried to switch to the Cisco TFTP server, which also bugged out
with an error message saying 'failed (state error)'
With both servers the transfer stopped after about 5 seconds, and then timed
out after about a minute.

The solution in my case was to follow the advice in:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/install_tftp.html#state_error

Disabling logging in solarwinds did not improve the situation that night.

As to the reason for the failure... I expect that to be one of those little
demons that pops up friday night when you want to go for a beer with your
friends but instead have to sacrifice hours in front of the routers. I did
learn a lot of partitioning flash, how to get hold of spare RAM at 8 PM in
the evening, quirks of tftp-servers and mss-settings in GRE-tunnels.

After that the tftp-servers have behaved, and I am still partial to the
possession theory until something better comes up :-)

Bjorn

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and
is the property of the Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Group. It is intended only
for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,
distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies
of this message.