From: YASSER ALY [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 7:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Multicast quesion.. [7:53449]

Hi Paul,

 To configure a router to be an Auto-RP use the following command:

Router(config)# ip pim send-rp-announce
 scope

 This should be applied on both R1 & R2 in your scenario.

 To configure a router a RP mapping agent (R4 in your scenario) use:

Router(config)#ip pim send-rp-discovery scope

Routers configured as Auto-RP advertises Cisco-RP-Announce at 224.0.1.39
while routers configured as RP mapping agents listens on this IP and sends
inturn the RP-to-group mappings in an auto-RP RP discovery message to the
well known Cisco-RP-Discovery 224.0.1.40

PIM DRs listen to 224.0.1.40 to determine which RP to use.

Kindly let us know if this will work out or not as I am not that strong with
Multicast and it happens for me to be studying it now so I looked for the
commands but never tried it myself.

Regards,

Yasser

>From: "Casey, Paul (6822)" > >Can someone help me with the following..
Its from a lab I am working on.. > >R1 and R2 should dynamically become RP's
for 236.1.1.17 and 236.1.8.90 > >R4 should be capable of assigning RP's for
these groups. But should not be >able to become an RP itself.. >
>Can someone help me to do this.. > >Kind regards. >Paul.
>-------------------------- >Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld >

> >This E-mail is from O2. The E-mail and any files >transmitted with it
are confidential and may also be privileged and intended >solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. >Any unauthorised
direct or indirect dissemination, distribution or copying
>of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have
>received the E-mail in error please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED] or >
telephone ++ 353 1 6095000. >
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]