Having asked about VoMPLS transcoding from analog voice to MPLS
frames without intermediate IP packets, my lab partner noticed
that the CVOICE book (edited by Steve McQuerry etal) discusses
VoFR and VoATM (chapters 8 and 9):

analog        +-------+                 +-------+      analog
phone A1 ---- |       |       ATM       |       | ---- phone B1
   ...         | rtr A | ---- or FR ---- | rtr B |        ...
analog   ---- |       |      cloud      |       | ---- analog
phone Ai      +-------+                 +-------+      phone Bj

Are we reading this correctly, that the analog phones plug into
the cisco routers and the analog voice traffic is transformed
into FR frames or ATM cells, with no IP packets in between?
It makes sense to do it that way in some applications. For
example, if you have a call center in a distant suburb across
a LATA line or two, that services a metropolitan area, then
you'd want to bypass long-distance charges if at all possible.

This seems like an easy way to do it. But what handles the
call control? Does the router do that? Some of the diagrams
in the CVOICE book have no PBX (or CCM) in them. Does the
router translate the call-control signaling from the analog
phone into corresponding pass-through signaling in the ATM/FR
packets (sort of like user-to-user signaling that could be
passed through SS7, in this case the users are the routers
and the network is the ATM/FR switches)?

-- TT