Thanks Priscilla,

Regards,

R.S.Sundar

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 12:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: What's the Technical difference between Switch and
[7:53468]

R.S.Sundar wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> What's the Technical difference between Swich and Switching Hub.
>
> Generally we have hubs,switch and switching hub .In which
> situation a
> switching hub can be used.
>
> Can we use it instead of a switch.

"Switching hub" isn't a technical term, so we can't answer the question with
a technical answer. It sounds like it's specific to a particular product. So
your best bet is to read the specs for that product.

Cisco at one point used the term "switching hub" for some low-end switches
that they had. They really were switches, not hubs. Each port provided
dedicated bandwidth and connected just one device. The port couldn't connect
a shared network or hub, just a single device. I guess Cisco used the term
"switching hub" instead of "switch" because these low-end devices didn't
have any fancy switching features to support VLANs, spanning tree, etc.

Such a device could replace a hub and offer much higher performance,
although, as mentioned, it must be placed into the topology in such a
fashion that the ports connect just one device. It may support some uplink
ports for connecting to other switches or shared networks.

But the bottom line is that you need to read the specs for your actual
product and see what the vendor means by this confusing, non-standard term
"switching hub."

It's a shame that the vendor didn't stick to standard,
technically-comprehensive terminology, which defines a switch as a
data-link-layer device that offers dedicated bandwidth to each port, and a
hub as a physical-layer device that offers shared bandwidth for the ports.

Priscilla