From: mike greenberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 3:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: TACACS+ [7:53721]

Now I know why EDS stock is taking a beating....
When you use TACACS+, you basically offload the authentication,
authorization and
accounting to the TACACS+ server (running on your Linux box).  If you don't
want
people to connect to your routers via telnet, set the vty line on your
routers to
accept only SSH.  You can still log onto the routers with SSH and use the
account
on your TACACS+ server (if you configure the router properly).  I have a
sample
TACACS+ configuration.  Contact me off-line if you are interested.  The
configuration
of TACACS+ has nothing to do with either telnet or ssh
 "Blair, Philip S"
wrote:Your passwords are encrypted with SSH between the client and router,
between
the router and tacacs server your tacacs key is used.

I use tac_plus with clients that use a combination of SSH and telnet. Some
routers require SSH some basic telnet is allowed. I have no special
configurations within tac_plus to accommodate the two access methods.

Philip