I sent a message to Cisco asking if it was possible to verify certification
status, and this is the response I received:

Dear Robert:

Thank you for contacting Cisco Training and Career Certifications team.

We can verify certification for candidates given the proper information.
Please provide the following information to verify the candidate:

Candidate's name:
Candidate ID or Cisco ID #:
Certification level(s) you wish to verify:

Once the customer service department receives your updated request we will
be able to verify the certification(s) achieved. Please note that exam
scores and other contact or personal information will not be released.

Please click on the hyperlink below to update, review or generate a support
request.

Be sure to bookmark the www.cisco.com/go/certsupport site for all of your
future Cisco Training and Career Certification inquires.