Dwayne Saunders wrote:

> Hi all,
>       Let me start with I am about to start my design track. Every
> one
> comments on Priscilla's Book Top Down Network Design I was just
> looking at
> it and was wondering since this was written dec 1998 is it
> still current to
> today's network topology's (Not trying to flame you Priscilla).

Well the book really shipped January 1999. But yeah, I know that doesn't
sound too good. ;-)

Seriously, since the book teaches a classic design methodology, almost all
of it is still relevant. The top-down methods are based on methods that were
designed for software development in the 1970s and are still in use today.

It used to be that programmers made the same types of mistakes that nework
engineers tend to make. They started writing code and recommending equipment
without talking to users, understanding the business and technical
requirements, figuring out a high-level logical design, planning for
maintainability, etc. Timeless top-down processes avoid the problems that
occur with this sort of approach, regardless of new features, technologies,
etc.

As far as certification goes, there's been this weird feedback loop for many
years between my work and Cisco courses and certifications. I hear that CCDA
and CID are even more like my book than they were when I wrote it.

I welcome suggestions on either of my books. I don't do GroupStudy via
e-mail any more, but humans can guess my e-mail address. Hopefully a
computer worm/robot can't figure this out. My domain name is my first name
in the .com domain. My mail address is my initials, which are also short for
Post Office or Purchase Order! ;-) Thanks in advance for any comments you
have and suggestions for updating.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com