From: Nigel Taylor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 8:33 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AAA in console [7:54282]

Ryan,
         I noted your earlier post on this topic and my first question
is.."What's the problem you're trying to solve?  Configuring AAA on the
console should be very straight forward, however this could very easily
change based on your identified or outlined requirements.   A couple of
question;

1.  who will be typically accesing the console?
2.  What will be authenticating the user? TACACS+/RADIUS/the Router etc..
3.  Do you plan on using the local database should tacacs fail?
4.  Will you have redundant/secondary tacacs/radius device?

I've seen some enterprises where they  prefered not to have any passwords
configured on the local device short of the "enable secret", which should
survive a password checker like "Getpass".  Of course the console password
was left outside the scope of AAA, as it provided the only way to access the
device if the tacacs/radius server(s) were unreachable.

HTH

Nigel