The second is definitely correct.  The first is also correct if you consider
the "cost of the path to the ASBR" as the cost of the path from the
destination network to the ASBR, but not if you consider it as the cost to
get to the ASBR across the OSPF network.

E1 cost = external metric + OSPF path cost
E2 cost = external metric

E1 is always preferred to E2 if both exist, regardless of the individual
metrics.

Hope this helps...

--
Russell Heilling
http://www.ccie.org.uk/

""Matthew Webster""  wrote in message
> I studying the CiscoPress CCNP Routing Book at the moment. There appears
> be a contradiction on page 294 and 295. on  page 294: the path to another
AS