When you combine the switches via gigastack, you are usually doing it
because you can't afford a chassis based switch in the closet (or don't need
one).  If you do gigastack the switches, they are treated as separate hops
in spanning tree.  I guess it's cheaper to run small gigastack cables then
it is to run the switches via fiber back to a core/disro 6500 both on the
wiring and the ports on the core/distro switch.  Those gbic blades cost more
than the chassis itself.