Yes that darn business driver of selling more transport.  Reminds me of my
days at a PTT doing research for applications to drive transport.  Seeing
the big picture is usually very helpful, people don't buy transport for no
reason.  If you're not the PTT or cable based telco then selling transport
itself isn't your strength, it's providing the flexibility the cable
maintenance folks can't or won't provide in servicing the business need of
customers.  Any customer with money and a business driver for several
hundred GE's within one metro area will likely have a ton of other business
outside that metro you'd like to get.   IMHO, even subcontracting the
"hassle" would be worth it to gain the visibility and position for future
business.

The main area to challenge(and that will create good savings) is the
assumption of housing all equipment in COs.  Serving customers from customer
premises works if you're careful.   I can think of some big providers in
europe who made it fly with a handful of different techniques.  Also look at
the long established Sonet ADMs at customer prems, we know it's viable with
good planning/engineering.  I still believe the options I've stated make
sense for the described situation regardless of the short visioned layer8 of