I have a customer who has (1) 6509 backbone switches which is  also acting
as a root bridge.  (7) 3524 are connect back to 6509 via fiber each as a
seperate unit.  At this point, if 6509 fails whole network will go down.  I
suggested to have an additional switch run in standby mode as a backup
backbone switch.  Customer doesn't want to spend around 40,000 to buy a 2nd
6509 switch.  Can the backup switch be another Catalyst say 4000 or does it
have to be the exact same model.  I know the performance will be downgraded
since 4000 series don't  have the same switching backplane as opposed to
6509, but still it should take over as a root bridge incase 6509 goes
down.   In this configuration, the only thing they will have to do is to
move their servers to the 4006 switch until the 6509 comes back online.  All
I need to make sure that the  both 6509 and 4006 switch have the same
configuration.  Is there anything I am missing, please shed some lights
guys.  Teza

Changed your e-mail?  Keep your contacts!  Use this free e-mail change of
address service from Return Path.  Register now!