At 11:24 AM +0000 10/2/02, \"\"B.J. Wilson\"\" wrote:
>Dear Silent Bob:
>
>Okay lunchbox, my co-workers and I are trying to figure out if Frame Relay
is
>connectionless or connection-oriented.  A lot of documentation I'm reading
>says it *is*, but somewhere in the chasms of my memory banks I can't help
but
>think that it is *not*, because a) it would be redundant given TCP's
function
>and b) it would add latency to the Frame cloud, which is supposedly
optimized
>for speed (one of the improvements Frame made to X.25).  Am I right, or have
>been hitting the pipe a little too hard lately?
>
>Your hetero life-mate,
>
>Jay

As are many things in networking, It Depends.

FR is connection-oriented (without user-controlled connection and
disconnection phases) as far as its topology.  That refers to the
endpoints, remembering FR is an access rather than a backbone
protocol.

FR does not do error correction.  Just because something is
connection-oriented doesn't mean it does error correction. FR does do
error detection and a primitive form of congestion notification.