What about using default routes at the customer sites?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Peter van Oene
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 5:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OSPF for ISPs [7:54540]

At 07:12 PM 9/30/2002 +0000, MADMAN wrote:
>Interesting.  I don't work for an ISP bt have worked with many and I
>have only ran into one that ran an IGP with it's customers and I was
>suprised.  My ancedotal evidence suggests that the vast majority either

>run BGP or statics to announce customer networks.  I know there are
>plenty of ISP engineers out there and can confirm/rip my conjecture ;)
>
>  Dave

Best practises would dictate the use of static or a distance vector
variant
IGP for customer connections.  The lack of import filtering capability
in
Link State protocols presents a very dangerous situation for the ISP.
In
general, ISP's are very paranoid about customers (and peers/providers
alike) and take all means necessary to protect themselves from
misbehaving
external peers (IP peers in this general case)  BGP naturally provides
the
most policy rich tool set for those applications where static routing
will
not suffice.  I find RIP to be a comfortable variant for those
multihomed
customers who simply will not turn up BGP, though I'd still prefer to
have
the BGP discussion one last time with them prior to doing using it.

Of course, linking one's main IGP to a customers is a really silly idea
which I think everyone grasps ;)

>Mike Bernico wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure I'm in complete agreement.  The network I work for has
several
> > distribution routers that contain around 1000 T1 speed customers.
> > If we were to static route each of their networks it would add about

1500
> > lines of router configuration to the router.  That would definately
> > add
> > our maintenance and provisioning work and make troubleshooting
> > harder on
>our
> > techs.   While I agree statics are probably the most stable way, I'm
not
> > sure it's necessarily the best way to aggrigate high volumes of
customers.
> > We currently use EIGRP at the edge with the stub command, OSPF or
> > IS-IS would work just as well.  Regardless, we would never let our
> > IGP, that extends to the CE router, touch their IGP.  About 98% of
> > our customers
are