The information afterwards is not my words.  I got it off of
www.examnotes.net.  It was written by a guy that frequents their forums who
works in the telecom industry, doing work related to WAN type installations,
including DSL.  Here's what he said about the subject:

ADSL. Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line. A term for one-way T1 transmission
of signals to the home over the plain old, single twisted-pair wiring already
going to homes. ADSL modems attach to twisted pair copper wiring. ADSL is
often provisioned with greater downstream than upstream rates (hence
"asymmetric"). These rates are dependent on the distance a user is from the
central office and may vary from as high as 9 Mbps to as low as 384 Kbps.
HDSL. High bit-rate Digital Subscriber Line. The oldest of the DSL
technologies, HDSL continues to be used by telephone companies deploying T1
lines at 1.5 Mbps and requires two twisted pairs.
IDSL. ISDN Digital Subscriber Line. IDSL provides up to 144-Kbps transfer
rates in each direction and can be provisioned on any ISDN capable phone
line.
Unlike ADSL and other DSL technologies, IDSL can be deployed regardless of
the
distance the user is from the central office.
RADSL. Rate Adaptive Digital Subscriber Line. Using modified ADSL software,
RADSL makes it possible for modems automatically and dynamically to adjust
their transmission speeds. This often allows for good data rates for
customers
residing greater distances from the CO.
SDSL. Single-line Digital Subscriber Line or Symmetric Digital Subscriber
Line. A modified HDSL software technology, SDSL is intended to provide 1.5
Mbps in both directions over a single twisted pair. However, the distance
over
which this can be achieved is less than 8,000 feet.
VDSL. Very high-rate Digital Subscriber Line. The newest of the DSL
technologies, VDSL can offer speeds up to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps
upstream. Similar to SDSL, the gain in speed can be achieved only at short
distances. These maximum speeds can be achieved only up to 1,000 feet.
Sometimes also called broadband digital subscriber line (BDSL).
xDSL. A generic term for the suite of digital subscriber line (DSL) services,
where the "x" can be replaced with any of a number of letters. See also DSL,
ADSL, HDSL, IDSL, MDSL, RADSL, SDSL, VDSL.