If they're all built to the standard, why does Cisco require different
OS versions to support different GBICs?  I have a 1000TX GBIC Cisco says
isn't supported in a 5500.

Maybe I'm just not meant to understand things like this...  :-)

>>> "seadon"  10/05/02 09:38AM >>>
I've bought over 100 of these from Cisco, and the simple fact was that
there
was no one Cisco model.  I saw at least three different versions from
Cisco
and some definitely did not have the Cisco name on them.  It is
possible the
Agilent unit did come from Cisco.  My advice is that if it works, it
probably is fine.  If I understand correctly, a GBIC is built to the
GMII
Gigabit Media Independent Interface standard so interchange should be
implied.
    Don

""Chuck's Long Road""  wrote in message
> I took a bit of a risk, and purchased some GBIC;s off That Auction
Site.
Of
> the four, three are Cisco branded, and the fourth is labeled
"Agilent" (
> used to be HP )
>
> I had done a bit of investigation prior to purchase. I see that the
Auction
> Site has listings for Agilent, IBM, and Extreme GBIC's, as well as
Cisco.
> However, I was unable to find any direct and clearly stated
indication
that
> all GBIC's are interchangeable.
>
> IBM and Agilent GBIC's cost few pretty pennies less than Cisco BTW,
although
> I suspect now that the same source OEM's for all these
manufacturers.

> So I paid my money, took my chance, and have an Agilent GBIC on one
switch
> connected to a Cisco GBIC on another. No connectivity problems. Came
right
> up. Is passing traffic even as I write.
>
> Thinking logically, why should GBIC's be any different that NIC's or
patch
> cables, transceivers of various sorts and brands, or CSU/DSU's? They
are
all