Hello,

Couple of questions on OSPF hello and dead interval...(that's driving me
NUTS)  :-)

1. Why does OSPF NOT change the hello-interval when you first configure the
dead-interval. Ex. I changed the dead-interval to 60 but the hello-interval
still showed up as 10.

R1-RTD(config-subif)#ip os dead-interval 60

R1-RTD#sh ip os int s0/0.2
Timer intervals configured, Hello 10, Dead 60, Wait 60, Retransmit 10

I was assuming that the hello interval would get bumped to 15 but looks like
that's not how it works!!

2. So I changed the hello interval next to 20 thinking that it would bump
the dead interval to 80. But lo! behold! It does NOT change it to 80. Why is
this??

R1-RTD(config-subif)#ip os hello-interval 20

R1-RTD#sh ip os int s0/0.2
Timer intervals configured, Hello 20, Dead 60, Wait 60, Retransmit 10

3. Next, I set the hello interval back to it's default of 10 but still the
dead interval does not get set back to 40. Why??

R1-RTD(config-subif)#ip os hello-interval 10

R1-RTD#sh ip os int s0/0.2
Timer intervals configured, Hello 10, Dead 60, Wait 60, Retransmit 10

4. So, I changed the dead interval back to 40 manually.

Next, I changed the hello interval to 20 and this time, OSPF set the dead
interval to 80.

R1-RTD(config-subif)#ip ospf hello-interval 20

R1-RTD#sh ip os int s0/0.2
Timer intervals configured, Hello 20, Dead 80, Wait 80, Retransmit 10

5. Ok, Finally I set the hello interval to 10 and this time OSPF worked at
the way is should work.

R1-RTD(config-subif)#ip ospf hello-interval 10

R1-RTD#sh ip os int s0/0.2
Timer intervals configured, Hello 10, Dead 40, Wait 40, Retransmit 10

Anybody have any real good explanations for this or is it just a BUG? OR is
this the way Cisco OSPF works!!

Running ver.
R1-RTD#sh ver
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-D-M), Version 12.1(2), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thank you.

Sincerely.