DQoS test on Monday. Let's see if I pass of rail!

some thoughts below

--
""Adam Broad""  wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a 1720 router connected to a 3640 router by leased line (256K
> link). I wish to route IP, IPX and have VoIP (QoS) from site to site.
> At present the line is routing IP with static IP addresses on the leased
> line.
> It is also routing IPX and I have configured a network number on the
> leased line.
> If I try to add in the QoS it seems I need to have unnumbered IP
> addressing on the leased Line for it to work.
> If I use unnumbered IP addressing then it seems to prevent me allocating
> IPX network addresses to the serial line.
>
> I am getting confused at this point, should it be possible to have IP,
> IPX and QoS all at the same time?

CL: sure, they can all be configured simultaneously.  To clarify, so far as
I know, QoS settings can apply only to IP traffic, or to traffic clssified
by MAC address. You cannot apply QoS to IPX or any other non IP protocol
except by that means. Well, let me qualify that by saying that on the 3550
you can add a few other L2 protocols such as DecNet and NetBIOS for QoS in a
switched environment.

CL: I see no reason why unnumered is required on any interface to get QoS to
work. Which leads to the question of IOS version. I believe that 12.1.2T or
better is what you should be using. Other versions may or may not have all
the required bells and whistles. I'm using 12.1.5T10 and so far I have not
run into the issue of requiring unnumbered on serial links. Can't do NBAR
protocol discovery on the 2500's and can't do MPLS, but that's another
story.