From: The Long and Winding Road
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 11 October 2002 18:26
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: routing IPX over Leased Line with QoS [7:55373]

DQoS test on Monday. Let's see if I pass of rail!

some thoughts below

--
""Adam Broad""  wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a 1720 router connected to a 3640 router by leased line (256K
> link). I wish to route IP, IPX and have VoIP (QoS) from site to site.
> At present the line is routing IP with static IP addresses on the
> leased line. It is also routing IPX and I have configured a network
> number on the leased line.
> If I try to add in the QoS it seems I need to have unnumbered IP
> addressing on the leased Line for it to work.
> If I use unnumbered IP addressing then it seems to prevent me
allocating
> IPX network addresses to the serial line.
>
> I am getting confused at this point, should it be possible to have IP,

> IPX and QoS all at the same time?

CL: sure, they can all be configured simultaneously.  To clarify, so far
as I know, QoS settings can apply only to IP traffic, or to traffic
clssified by MAC address. You cannot apply QoS to IPX or any other non
IP protocol except by that means. Well, let me qualify that by saying
that on the 3550 you can add a few other L2 protocols such as DecNet and
NetBIOS for QoS in a switched environment.

CL: I see no reason why unnumered is required on any interface to get
QoS to work. Which leads to the question of IOS version. I believe that
12.1.2T or better is what you should be using. Other versions may or may
not have all the required bells and whistles. I'm using 12.1.5T10 and so
far I have not run into the issue of requiring unnumbered on serial
links. Can't do NBAR protocol discovery on the 2500's and can't do MPLS,
but that's another story.

> My IOS is 12.1
>
> Thanks for any suggestions
>
> Adam.
      Scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by the Webvein Mail
Gateway