""Steven A. Ridder""  wrote in message
> I always thought that the PSTN was based off of that fact that not all
> phones would be calling at once, and if they did, then some would get
> through while others wouldn't.

CL: yes. true. however, decades ago the Bell folks knew and practiced the
optimum manner in which to provision such that you or I or any other
individual would experience dial tone almost all of the time. We know this
through the Ehrlang calcualtions.

>Then to ensure that important calls got
> through during these periods, there was the priority network that gov't
> officials have with their PINS, etc.  (Can't remember the name, but
there's
> also an IETF working group working on the same thing.)

CL good idea. having been through an earthquake or two, I'm quite familiar
with fast busy's during emergencies. nice to know there is a means for the
right people to be able to get through.

> I don't think that the Converged Network theory is reinventing the wheel
and
> is a dead end.  I think the opposite is true.  The TDM/PSTN world is dead
> (or dying) and that most calls are circuit-switched across ATM now.

CL: different issue. the Bell network grew and matured because of regulation
that guaranteed return on capital. therefore it was in Bell's interest to
invest in capital - switches, lines, CO's. Since deregulation in 1984 it can
be argued that the appropriate investment has not been made in "the
network" - all that has happened is that the CLECs have cherry picked the
most concentrated and profitable areas while underinvesting in not so
profitable areas. I sometimes sign my messages TANSTAAFL - there ain't no
such thing as a free lunch. Right now, for all intents and purposes, the
internet is "free". What happens when people have to start paying for their
proportional share of services? Assuming the internet becomes the
replacement for the telco netowrk?

CL: I'm not saying that there is room for improvement. There is no reason
that a PBX has to be larger than a couple of IBM mainframes. But I gotta
ask - is it really a good idea to make your PC into a telephone into a
television?

> Now if
> someone could just solve the last mile....

CL: oh boy. video on demand. OC192 to the television set. I can hardly wait.

CL: much as I despise the idea, I go along with the school of thought that
wireless is the future, not voice and data converged. It's another one of
those "trekkie tech" things, but telcos continue to lose 10's of thousands
of lines per year to wireless, and most people just want to yak on the
phone, no matter where they are. Which is one more reason to telecommute.

> --
>
> RFC 1149 Compliant.
>

> ""The Long and Winding Road""  wrote in
> message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > ""Steven A. Ridder""  wrote in message
> > > I understand the technology and stand by whoever said what IP
> > telephony/VoIP
> > > isn't a bandwidth hungry app.  It isn't.  G.729, which can use as
little
> > as
> > > 8k with proper compresion, has nearly the same MOS score as G.711,
which
> > is
> > > toll quality.  Even though it's not officially "toll quality" I
consider
> > it
> > > toll quality, as I can't tell the difference, and most people couldn't
> > > either.  Even if using G.711, I can still use compression and VAD to
get
> > > down to 25K or so, which isn't bandwidth hungry in my book either.
> > >
> > > I think the apps that will be on a converged network in the future
will
> be
> > > bandwidth hungry, such as video. Voice isn't.
> > >

> > CL: I don't think the issue is the bandwidth taken by one compressed
call.
> > The issue is poisson 99. I think that's how the telco guys call it. What
> > happens when a significant number of calls "must" go through - say
during
> an
> > emergency?
> >
> > CL: current telco networks are engineered such that you get dial tone
> 99.5%
> > of the time you go off hook, day or night, busy hour or not. the VoIP
> > netowork must not only operate at that kind of reliability, but must
> > tramsmit data simultaneously.
> >
> > CL: This rush to converged networks means not only reinventing what the
> > telcos have already done, but building out a whole new infrastructure as
> > well. There is at least one school of thought that calls this a dead
end.

> > CL: one of the bad things that has come out of Microsoft is the attitude
> > that Mainframe computers are just PC's with a little bit more horsepower
> and
> > that the internet is just a bigger version of the Microsoft campus
> network,
> > with a few more hubs involved. I see one of the bad things about Cisco's
> > vision of converged networks is the attitude that the Telephone Network
is
> > nothing more than just the Cisco campus telephone network with a few
more
> > phones attached.

Have
> that