""Mike Bernico""  wrote in message:
> Does anyone in here have any experience with large scale DWDM design?
> If so would you be willing to chat with me about using "metro DWDM"
> equipment vs long haul equipment in a regional (8 runs that can be
> arranged into one or two rings, each run at 100Km)  DWDM network
> with OC-192?

>From a strictly Cisco perspective, the ONS 15808 is the LH platform
of choice, while "metro DWDM" is typically done today with ONS 15252.
The metro DWDM is changing rapidly (I believe Cisco already has started
the EOL process on the 252) to the ONS 15530/15540.  However, in the
long run - they will likely combine these services on the ONS 15454 for
Edge and IOF and replace the entire Metro Hub (inside plant, gateway,
central office) with the ONS 15600.

If you are building MAN and LH networks now, consider keeping the
necessary LH with the big DWDM LH boxes (e.g. ONS 15808), and start
aggregating your Metro ADM's and W-DCS's into fully redundant, integrated
ADM+O/W-DCS solutions (e.g. 15600).  Keep the metro edge with strong,
long lasting, long lifetime equipment (you don't want to replace CPE
ADM's ever, if possible) with a vendor you know is going to be around
a long, long time (e.g. Cisco ONS 15454).

10-Gig is also going to be huge in the metro, and available on cheaper,
more efficient solutions today (e.g. ONS 15540, 7600) and even more
in the future (e.g.  ONS 15454, ONS 15600, 7600 SUP3/PFC3), with even
higher densities.  Today, your only options Cisco-wise for OC-192 are the
ONS 15800 and the 12400 series (and in some scenarios, the ONS 15454
and the ONS 15600).  It sounds like you can do whatever you want with
your fiber, so why use OC-192 completely, instead of at the very least
augmenting your OC-192 investments with 10-Gig?

It sounds like you need both metro DWDM and OA with the protection of an
ADM, so that would be the ONS 15454.  If you need a large hub, consider
looking at the ONS 15600.

More details on Cisco's Optical strategy are here, in the seminar "Cisco ONS
15600 Multiservice Switching Platform":
http://www.cisco.com/go/semreg/fallsplaunch

Anyone have any comments on these two articles?
http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=21795
http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=22374

-dre