At 08:42 AM 10/23/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Just commencing study for the CCNP routing exam and as I understand it to
>date, the correct terminology is that you have Classful routing protocols
>not networks.
>
>A classful routing protocol (such as RIP or IGRP) assumes that everything
>else in the routing table has the same subnet mask.
>
>A classless routing protocol (such as RIPv2 and EIGRP) has support for
>Variable Length Subnet Masks which can be used for the conservation of IP
>addresses and these VLSM's are transmitted with each routng table update.
>
>Perhaps this question would be better suited to the CCNA list.

I would say that routers behave classfully or classlessly based upon the
way they build and interpret their routing tables.  Routing protocols
themselves either send mask/prefix information or they do not, however they
have no impact on how the router actually makes forwarding decisions and
are thus neigher classfull or classless themselves.

For example, it is perfectly valid for a classless router to use RIPv1 as a
routing protocol and this router will still behave in a classful
manner.  It is similarly possible to have a classful forwarding decisions
made by a router that happens to use OSPF.