At 5:41 PM +0000 10/18/02, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>The Long and Winding Road wrote:
>>
>>  OR - who / what is over rated?
>>
>>  I revisited a couple of CCIE Lab preparation books last night.
>
>Are they really lab prep books? They may just be CCIE level because they
>cover advanced concepts not because they cover the nit-picky weirdness that
>you might run into in the lab.
>
>You may be one of the few people on the planet that understands all the
>things that could go wrong with redistribution! Could you write a white
>paper on it? Would you like to write a chapter for my next book? ;-)
>
>Priscilla

Part of the problem with redistribution is the terminology itself.
In the Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL) for global
routing, there isn't a single "redistribute", but there are:

      "import" and "export" statements, which can be filtered, for
transferring
      information between routing processes in the same router or same AS

      "accept" and "advertise" statements about what routes will be permitted
      or denied by an AS, a router, or an interface.  Again, lots of
filtering.

When I deal with a "redistribution" problem, even with IGPs, stating
the goals in RPSL makes things MUCH clearer. You can substitute IGP
tags for the community attributes used in exterior routing
specification.

"Redistribute" isn't even good English.  To me, it's a transitive
verb, which implies that the routing process containing the
redistribute statement is distributing information to something else.

A better English version would be:

      Redistribute|import FROM
        INTO  [UNDER constraints].

Unfortunately, redistribution deals with importing, not really with
exporting or advertising, and only incidentally to accepting.

I use this RPSL-based approach in my new Building Service Provider
Networks book, long before I talk about any specifics of BGP.  I find
it clearer and more concise.