Anyone come across a situation where the ACK number suddenly steps back 1
and the link then resets ?

Host A to Host B is running fine with the app using port 2400 on A talking
to an app on B using ports 3564 & 3565 are in use. We have several traces
showing the steady increase of sequence numbers then all of a sudden the ACK
number takes step back by 1. There are no FIN segments in the preceeding
traffic, but the now regressed ACK number is repeated in 7 segments sent and
then a reset segment is issued and the two start exchanging data again.

I am not allowed to post any of the data from the trace given the nature of
the two systems involved, but here is an example of the way the ACK numbers
run

>From A to B port 2400 to 3564
4567 is ACK'd
4785 .....
4948
4947

>From A to B port 2400 to 3565
466 is ACK'd
483 .....
500
499

The link between the two is fine during this problem, utilisation drops but
is nevera bove 20% anyway. Both host applicationms are still running and
there are no process issues. The Cisco kit at either end is happy no error
messages or the like so I we knows its host/app related.

I can't find anything this specific in the archives and the nearest any of
my textbooks come is to say a FIN has been issued - which the trace says is
not the case.

The reason for asking is that I didn't think it was possible to regress the
sequence numbers, with the exception of the example from TCP/IP Illustrated
Vol 2 noted above.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt T