This doesn't really answer your question.  But in the past, I've used USR
modems connected to a remote reboot device (like an X10 or similar).  When
the modem stopped responding (ie. didnt answer the phone) the rebooter would
pick up and powercycle the device.

Power     --------

Phone------Rebooter---------Modem-----Computer
                            Power