My new book, Troubleshooting Campus Networks, has a long chapter on Ethernet
with secions on all varieties of Ethernet, details on the physical and MAC
layers, switching behavior and misbehavior, what the info in "show int
ethernet" really means, how to use a protocol analyzer to find Ethernet
problems, autonegotiation issues, etc. An earlier version of this chapter
was also published as a white paper at CertificationZone.

Some other excellent Ethernet books are:

Riley, S. and R. Breyer. Switched, Fast, and Gigabit Ethernet, 3rd ed.
Indianapolis, Indiana: New Riders Publishing, 1999.

Seifert, R. Gigabit Ethernet: Technology and Applications for High-Speed
LANs. Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., 1998.

Spurgeon, C.E. Ethernet: The Definitive Guide. Sebastopol, California:
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., 2000.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com