OK, from Cisco http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/25.shtml

Step 3: Prefer the path that was locally originated via a network or
aggregate BGP subcommand, or through redistribution from an IGP. Local paths
sourced by network/redistribute commands are preferred over local aggregates
sourced by the aggregate-address command.

Step 4: Prefer the path with the shortest AS_PATH

Step 5: Prefer the path with the lowest origin type: IGP is lower than EGP,
and EGP is lower than INCOMPLETE

My question:  In step 3 if a path is locally originated within a AS, it's
path will always be shorter than any path learned through over means.

So what is the rational for this step? I bet it is used in some trick
configuration and I admit I have run out of imagination...

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pierre-Alex