Hi all,

I think we covered this a little while ago, but don't recall the outcome.

I have been using a cheap netgear 8 port 10/100 switch at home for ages (no
fan=quiet) and it goes ok. Recently, I have swapped out the netgear for the
CAT5K from my lab. I am using it for CIT study and also because I was having
intermittent problems with my file server (I work from home a lot).

I found lots of runts and bad fcs on the port that the file server was
plugged into, so splashed out on ebay for a decent NIC (#6.99 for a
3C905B-TX!!) and replaced the realtek sh**ter with the 3COM card.

No more runts or bad FCS.

Anyway, my point is that I would like to keep a managed switch for my LAN,
but obviously the CAT5K is a bit noisy (and OTT), I have a 2912 but that
sounds like a small jet aircraft.

Anyone know of a quiet and small switch, or a way to quieten the fans in the
2900 series switches. Has anyone successfully ran a 2900 with some of the
fans unplugged?

Cheers,

Symon