My colleagues Erik Eman and Thomas Eriksson and I have just published
an Internet-Draft that tries to clarify the underlying theory and
principles of routing.  It's still a work in progress, but may
provide some useful background.

        Title           : Routing Architecture Building Blocks: an
Informational
                           Taxonomy
        Author(s)       : H. Berkowitz et al.
        Filename        : draft-eriksson-rabbit-00.txt
        Pages           : 44
        Date            : 2002-10-29

This document identifies and categorizes the components of routing,
switching, forwarding, and addressing that may be used in routing
architectures.  The intention is to support the development of a new
routing architecture for the Internet.
The addressing architecture, address allocation and assignment
principles, and possibilities for renumbering are important aspects
when designing a routing architecture.  How routing information is
learned and methods for distributing it are other issues discussed in
this document.  A number of methods for data traffic forwarding are
also described and evaluated

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eriksson-rabbit-00.txt