All,
     I just got through some of the presentations linked from the recent
nanog
meeting.  The draft in question was presented by Henk Uijterwaal titled  "New
Services  from RIPE NCC.

There is also this link on the nanog list to his latest draft.

http://www.ripe.net/home/henk/draft-ietf-ippm-owmetric-as-01.txt

I was just thinking about some of our current tools like ping, hping, and
traceroute which measures round trip delay vs one-way delay.  RFC 2679
discusses numerous reasons for calculating  one-way delay, however would
tools
like ping and traceroute with the existence of ping6 and traceroute6 be
rfc2679 compliant.  I've not done any research at this point but, would
operational tools in everyday use benefit from this new active measurement?

Here's a pretty good link that explains the concept for the "normal" folks
like myself.

Nigel