Yes, that would be the TCP Slow Start algorithm doing its job. I should add
that to my list of items that affect throughput. There's a good discussion
of it in RFC 2002, written by W. Richard Stevens, author of TCP/IP
Illustrated.

And surprisingly, I found a great page at Microsoft, of all places, on
various TCP options. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q224829&;

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com