We have a Cat5500 with an odd problem. There is a customer with a Vlan
setup on 2 RSM's using HSRP. The Vlan is using a /29, with each RSM
assigned an IP from the /29, a default gateway from the /29 which leaves
3 usable IP's for the customer.

He has 2 devices plugged into 2 ethernet ports on the Cat5500, a Redback
and a 3640, each has an IP from the /29, leaving one more to use. He wants
to add a switch, so config the switch to use the last IP from the /29,
assign the port to the Vlan and the switch should be accessable.

I'm telnetted to the console of the switch and I can ping the 3640 and the
Redback ok, but not the switch. A ping to the customers switch wants to go
out an IP on an interface that does not exist and has not existed for a
looong while.

A show arp below shows two entries on the same port/vlan. 204.244.98.19
should not be there. I'd like to do a clear ARP on the console so that it
will remove the old entry but should it have not removed it by now? We
changed things over over year ago taking out the 98.19 address.

My question though lies in what affect clearing the ARP table on the
console will have on overall routing? Its just on the console of a
Catalyst 5500, not on the RSM's. 64.114.55.67 is the gateway for Vlan1
which is the management Vlan for the RSM's.

How quick does the ARP table get repopulated?

Cisco 5500> (enable) sh arp
ARP Aging time = 1200 sec
64.114.55.67                              at 00-00-0c-07-ac-01 port 3/1 on
vlan 1
204.244.98.19                             at 00-00-0c-07-ac-01 port 3/1 on
vlan 1

Thanks,
Keith